1. Bill Gates : This guy dropped out of Harvard to start Microsoft Inc. with his college friend Paul Allen. He actually got support from his parents to drop out of college because they had confidence in their son and knew how passionate he was about computers.
Interesting fact : Bill Gates and his wife Melinda started the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and is the largest transparently operated charitable foundation in the world (Wiki).
2. Steve Jobs : The CEO & Founder of Apple Inc. dropped out of Reed College in Portland, Oregon after just one semester. He started working as a technician in a video game manufacturing company and four years later founded Apple with two other colleagues.
Interesting fact : Steve Jobs went to India in search of spiritual enlightenment and came back as a Buddhist with his head shaved.
3. Mark Zuckerberg : This guy doesn't need any introduction. He has changed our social lives. The Facebook CEO & President dropped out of Harvard to create Facebook with his three other college friends.
Interesting fact : In college, Mark Zuckerberg was famous for reciting lines from epic poems such as The Illiad.
4. Larry Page : The Google co-founder dropped out of Stanford University while pursuing a Ph.D in Computer Science. He was doing research on linking web pages and then collaborated with his senior Sergey Brin to find Google Inc.
Interesting fact : He takes an annual compensation of $1 from Google Inc.
5. Sergey Brin : He co-founded Google with Larry Page when both of them were pursuing Ph.D in Computer Science at Stanford. He also dropped out of his Ph.D program alongwith Larry Page.
Interesting fact : He also takes an annual compensation of $1 from Google Inc.
LESSON TO LEARN
If you are passionate about something, nothing can stop you from achieving it. Above all the things that you learn in college, by far the most important of all is figuring out what you are passionate about. Nothing great can ever be achieved without being passionate about it. The one thing common to all the above 5 people is their passion about what they do. It is the single most thing that will determine your altitude in life.
" Your courage to fulfill your dreams comes from passion, not position "
- John Maxwell